As a gym rat and running enthusiast I have to say, working out for less than one hour has never felt like enough of a workout. I know that it’s not about the time, it’s the quality of the workout that really matters but we are constantly being told we need to be active for a minimum of 30 minutes every day just to maintain a relatively decent health.
So where did the 7-minute workout come from? And seriously, what can you achieve in 7 minutes?
The story of the 7-minute workout seems to have come out of The American College of Sports Science. It is a scientifically based high-intensity circuit training workout using body weight. The approach combines aerobic and resistance training into a single exercise bout lasting approximately 7 minutes.
My Reality: Having tried and tested out the 7-minute workout for the past 2 weeks, doing workouts between 7 and 21 minutes long (1 – 3 circuits) I can honestly say I have achieved some decent results:
- Abs are beginning to appear again – thank you!!! It’s been a while and there is still some work to do but by combining this workout with my gym sessions and weekly runs the desired abs are on the horizon J
- My short distance runs feel easier. I am only running once or twice a week for 4-5 miles per run but my times have been faster with no effort to up the pace and I am pretty certain it’s that mix of explosive and strengthening work in the 7-minute workout that has had an impact.
- The 21-minute workout feels much harder than an hour in the gym – OMG! Although I opted for the HARD level I thought, being 21 minutes, it would be okay… mmmm, well, no point in doing it if I don’t challenge myself right? And I am saving time.
What I love most about this workout is:
- It’s free! You can download an app to your phone so no excuses. Take your kit and get the workout done – simple.
- I can fit in 7 minutes any day of the week and 21 minutes most. No more ‘I just couldn’t get to the gym’ syndrome.
- I can do it at home or, when I’m travelling, in my hotel room. No equipment required other than my trainers – sweet joy!
Highly recommended if you like to get more done in less time and highly recommended if you want to mix up your routine.
Because I’m ‘Appy… Have fun, get fit!